Friday, June 8, 2012

Jerusalem: A Land of Ice?

You'd think that after having just seen The Avengers, that I would have been satisfied with the amount of fun experience for a while..... well I wasn't.  The next day, exactly 32 of us decided to go see a supposed "ice city" in West Jerusalem.   Since we went in such a big group, what would have cost us 65 shekels to get in ended up costing only 35 shekels.  Yup, that's right!  50% off discount!  Anyway, to keep all the ice from melting, they keep the temperature at about 10 degrees celsius.  Since Jerusalem is normally very hot outside, people don't generally bring coats, let alone have coats.  So they provided coats for us.  To avoid being drowned in a XXXXL sized coat, I wore a child-sized coat.  I think it fit pretty well. :)  The second we walked into the "ice city"  I was so happy that I decided to go!  It was like every child's Dream Winter Wonderland Fairytale World.  It was so awesome!  There were some Ice sculptures that were absolutely amazing!  I couldn't help but feel giddy as we walked around, climbing all over the sculptures when the staff wasn't around. (Which was quite often.)  


Roooaaarrr!  We're as fierce (or fiercer) than the lion that we are gathered around.

Some strapping young Prince Charmings should come rescue we fair damsels in distress.

They seem to like their lions. :)  

Sorry for the headless giraffe.... it was quite tall.


Animals exiting from Noah's Ark.

Noah's Ark.

Hey! What are you doing behind there?

Hey!  What am I doing behind there?

Cinderella!  Hannah and I pretending that we are even remotely as graceful and lovely as she is.

Cinderella's pumpkin carriage.

Huge carousel that I couldn't get a whole shot of.

Yup that's right.  They had slides.  I should be winning, but Sara cheated!

Waiting for our drinks "on the rocks".  Tehe

Yay!  Happy family.

Space! (Meaning stand in a tunnel and take up space.)

I just loved the pumpkin carriage!

Cute little Sara wishing so badly that she could ride the carousel.

Little view of the Ice City.

Sweet shot of the stallion pulling the pumpkin carriage with the 20 ft. tall castle in the background.  (If that wasn't already obvious.)
After spending about an hour in the Ice City, our group split up to go to various places.  Some went ice skating, some went back to the center, and some wanted to go to the big Shuuk in West Jerusalem.  I wanted to go to the big Shuuk because I hadn't been yet, and I'd heard lots of good things about it.  Well, we decided to go exploring on the way there, so we didn't end up going to the Shuuk, but we still had lots of fun!
We came upon this sweet water fountain.  Without thinking twice, Sara took off her shoes and hopped in.  After that,  I don't think she knew what to do with herself.  :)

I on the other hand, I knew EXACTLY what to do when I got in. ;)
After the fountain, we saw a little street that appeared to be perfect for exploring.... so we explored it.  There were some cool art exhibits (that we sadly couldn't take pictures of)  and a cool museum that requires calling in advance to be allowed to enter.  We didn't call in advance....so we didn't enter.  After making our way back to the general direction of the Shuuk, we came upon the gorgeous gardens of the King David Hotel.
Sara and Whitney looking picture perfect in the King David Gardens.  AJ on the other hand..... well, he's another story. ;)

I wanted to be a part of the picturesqueness, but I don't think it quite worked out like I was hoping.  

More attempts at trying to be picturesque.  

I couldn't get Jamie to look at me for the life of me.

Ah!  There we are!

Enrance to the King David Hotel.  It was super nice inside!  As hard as this is to believe, I'd say that the Grand America is quite pale in comparison.

On the floor, in the main lobby of the hotel, they had tiles that had signatures of a bunch of famous people.  This one is of Winston Churchill.

This one is of Al Gore.  They had a tile with Obama's signature, but I wasn't able to get a picture of it.  Shucks.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of this work. As far as I'm concerned, it is all for me. :) Can't wait for Eilat photos. I watched parts of Sallah Shabati on You Tube today in your honor.

    ReplyDelete