Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Avenging Jeru Town: Cinematic Style

Since the beginning of time, I have been awaiting the time to come when The Avengers would come out in theaters.  Well, I wasn't able to go on opening night, obviously,  but I did make a goal to see it after Turkey.  Well, mission accomplished!  A bunch of friends and I rented a van and went to the theater on the other side of West Jerusalem.  It was so awesome!!!!! I think it will forever be one of my most favorite movies 1)  because of it's total awesomeness, and 2) because of the different insights, perceptions, and ways that I viewed the movie as a result of living in Jerusalem for the past month and a half.
The Avengers title written in Hebrew.  I thought it was pretty dang awesome. :)
 One thing that I wasn't expecting to learn was how the East sees we, western women.  After being surrounded by women covering their hair and wearing 100% modest, loose fitted clothing for the past month, I found myself feeling very embarrassed by the way that Pepper was behaving.  All I could do was notice how the women were dressed.  They all had tight fitted clothing that was revealing in one way or another.  It's crazy how after being here, how sensitive I've become to modesty in clothing and in actions.  Another interesting thing was how awkward it felt when the movie spoke of patriotism because I felt really proud in my heart, but all the locals around me had no connection to it.  It made me wonder what they were thinking when Captain America would give inspiring speeches about being patriotic to the U.S.  Anyway, seeing a U.S. film through the eyes of a non-U.S. was an experience that has helped me see things from a much broader perspective.

We would be awesome super heroes, I just know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment