Saturday, May 5, 2012

Jerusalem Tidbits

When people say, "I'm studying at the Jerusalem Center."  They really mean STUDY!  Holy kanolie, I have so much reading homework in all of my classes, it's insane!  I was stuck in the center for two days straight trying to do all of my homework, and I thought I was going to go crazy!  All I want to do is go out to the city, explore, and soak in the rich culture.  But me and my need for good grades is getting in the way.  
I finally went out to town yesterday, and I think it's the funnest I've had yet!  A group of girls and I wandered through the Old City aimlessly, looking at shops and stuff.  I bought a little hand embroidered pouch to keep all of my shekels in, a pretty bracelet, and my very first shawarma!  What is a shawarma you ask?  Well think of a burrito... except it's made by Palestinians, and it tastes so much better!  It was delicious.  
One thing I've learned is that it highly pays to come to Jerusalem as a Mormon University student.  Every shop we go to, the owner says, "You a mormon?  Ok, I give you a special price since you are a student."  So pretty much, we get special treatment. :)  I wore some cool feather earrings that I got from Clair's that really stand out, and so everywhere we went, shopkeepers would be yelling out, "hey mormon with the earrings!"  So then I'd walk over and they'd show me their hand made earrings, and tell me they'd sell me earrings for only 2 shekels (that equals to about 50 cents), and they'd ask me how much I got mine for, and so I'd tell them that I got mine for free. :)  I don't think they can beat that price, but two shekels is pretty dang good!  I will definitely be going back to that place!  
If your self esteem is lacking, Jerusalem is definitely the place to go!  Everywhere I went, I got comments on my beautiful eyes, they asked if I had a boyfriend back home, I was given free chocolates, and stuff like that.  I mean... dang!  If I don't manage to find a husband back at BYU, I'll come find one here.  There are plenty of attractive male specimens to be had in the Holy Land. ;)  Haha Anyway, I am constantly overwhelmed with how kind and hospitable the locals are.  They are so nice.  I can't help but smile as I walk through the streets of the Old City.  I still have yet to have the chance to explore West Jerusalem, but I can't wait!  West Jerusalem is so beautiful!  And it's also very clean and much safer than the east side.  But I love the east side for the wonderful people who live here.  
Yesterday, we had the wonderful opportunity to go to the western wall to welcome Shabat (Jewish sabbath).  Jews gather at the Western Wall of Friday evenings before sundown to welcome Shabat.  they stand at the wall, saying prayers and reading the Tanak.  Further away from the wall, they dance and sing songs.  I wrote a prayer to put in one of the cracks on the wall and it was an unforgettable experience.  Putting a prayer into a sacred wall while being surrounded with hordes of devout Jewish worshippers and watching them fervently pray was really eye opening.  I was so overcome by the spirit.  That experience testified to me that the spirit is not something that only we, as Christians, have the privilege of having.  The spirit is present whenever something is good.  And the worshipping and devotion to God at that wall was good.  I felt a sisterly bond to the Jewish women that I was surrounded by.  After paying respect at the wall, some jewish girls let us join in on their singing and dancing.  It was so much fun.  I had a ball.  I felt so happy being included in their weekly ceremony.
Western Wall. (I did not take this during the welcoming of Shabat.  There were a lot more people than this. :) )
After we left, we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.  That was awesome, but I ate way too much candy... oh well. :)
Oh! One little cool fact:  Sister Beck (as in the former General Relief Society President)  was here on a Mormon Jerusalem tour!!!!!!!  I didn't get to talk to her, but I did stand right next to her at the Western Wall. :)  I would have talked to her, but she was busy speaking in spanish to one of the other Jerusalem students. NBD.  
So yup, this week has been a good'un.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment